LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Quarantine-free travel from New Zealand to Australia will resume from Monday in a major boost for tourism and confidence.
* Victoria is now 80 per cent fully vaccinated and reported its lowest daily case number in more than a month to boot.
* A further 1036 local infections were recorded along with 12 more virus-related deaths of people aged between 50 and 90. The state’s toll from the current outbreak is 305 and 1122 since the start of the pandemic.
* An escalating outbreak inside a Melbourne hotel used to detain asylum seekers and refugees has been described as “completely foreseeable” by a lawyer representing them.
* NSW adults who got a second vaccine more than six months ago will be able to get a third from next week.
* The Pfizer booster doses will be available for people 18 or over at GP clinics, pharmacies and NSW Health centres like the mass vaccination hub at Sydney Olympic Park.
* Some 177 new infections were diagnosed in NSW from 75,378 tests in the 24 hours to 8pm on Saturday, down from 236 the day before. It’s the lowest daily tally in more than three months.
* One death was reported in NSW – an unvaccinated woman in her 70s.
* Western Australia is also making Pfizer booster shots available at state-run clinics from Monday to those 18 and over who got their second COVID-19 vaccine at least six months ago.
* In addition, the WA government has moved to ban unvaccinated travellers from Victoria, NSW and the ACT from Friday.
* After a full week of daily infection numbers below 20, the ACT began a new one with seven cases.
* A “small number” of Tasmanian health workers have been stood down after failing to comply with the state’s COVID-19 vaccination mandate before Sunday’s deadline.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 35,629,967 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to Sunday, including 142,833 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 20,933,676 have been administered by the commonwealth (an increase of 83,247 in the previous 24 hours).
* 14,696,291 have been administered by the states and territories, including 59,586 in the previous 24 hours.
* Nationwide, 88.2 per cent of the 16-plus population have had at least their first dose and 77.2 per cent both.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 1220 local cases on Sunday: 1036 in Victoria, 177 in NSW and seven in the ACT.
* There was one overseas-acquired infection in NSW.
* The national death toll is 1732: Victoria 1123 (+12), NSW 569 (+1), Tasmania 13, ACT 8, WA 9, Queensland 7 and SA 4. Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states.
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 246,370,000.
* Deaths: at least 4,994,000.
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 6,947,883,000.
Data current as at 1730 AEDT on October 31, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.
The Fort News